December 1, 2010

Where's the Fire?

I haven't been motivated to write much lately.  You might say that I had lost my fire.  That changed this morning when I awoke, ironically, to the fire alarm.  I can't say that I was very surprised to hear it.  Fire alarms are very common here on campus.  Hardly a week goes by without hearing one screeching through the air above the neighborhoods of student housing.  It could happen to anyone at any time, and so it has been since the university opened.  This morning it was just my turn.

This is why I did not leave the building or even get out of bed.  I did what every seasoned Kaust student does-- I did my best to sleep in spite of it.  The alarm sounded intermittently for over two hours, but no one came, no one contacted me, and frankly I never expected them to.  Why?  Because this is how things are done at Kaust.  This problem has been in place for over a year.  It has never been fixed, it has never been discussed with the students, and it shows no sign of improvement.  There is absolutely no reason to believe that fire alarms will not simply be a part of everyday life for students on Kaust campus.

For me personally, the primary consequences are these: I can sleep through emergency alarms and my inner drive to continue this blog is rekindled.

No comments:

Post a Comment